During the 18th Century Exmouth had a lively smuggling history. The Mutter family were major players around this time, though much of the storey is anecdotal. One thing that is known is that William Mutter and Charles Blackmore were jailed in 1857 for concealing a large amount of brandy under the cliffs between Exmouth and Budleigh.

Mutters cider shop, which was located at the junction of Hamilton Road and Salterton Road was reputed to be at the centre of local smuggling activies with a direct connection to the beach at Orcombe Point by means of Lime Kiln Lane.

It has also been suggested that the Mutters were associated with the legendary smuggler Jack Rattenbury, whose area of operations was along the coast the the east.

Both the Mutters and Rattenbury have East Devon moors named after them.


Popular Posts

  • Seamen’s Mission

    The Exmouth Seamen’s Mission and Sailor’s Rest in St Andrew’s Road was erected in 1909 and closed in 2007. Before 1909 premises in Camperdown Terrace and Chapel Hill were used for mission purposes. Its original 1909 objectives were: “1. IN TRUST TO PERMIT THE SAID PREMISES TO BE USED AND OCCUPIED AS A SEAMEN’S MISSION…

  • Bastin Hall

    The Bastin Hall in Elm Grove was the local base of the St John’s Ambulance from 1933 to 2023. The building was sold in 2023 and the site may be destined for demolition and new build residential use. The Hall was opened by T Garbutt Knott on the 6th of December 1933. The garage block…

  • Exmouth Churches

    All Saints Church All saints Church in Exeter Road was completed in 1898. Christ Church Originally built in 1872 as a Wesleyan Chapel, Christ Church in Windsor Square was purchased from the Methodists after they moved to larger premises in 1895. In 1897 it was enlarged by adding an additional aisle. Exmouth Baptist Church Exmouth’s…