The Bastin Hall in Elm Grove was the local base of the St John’s Ambulance from 1933 to 2023. The building was sold in 2023 and the site may be destined for demolition and new build residential use.
The Hall was opened by T Garbutt Knott on the 6th of December 1933. The garage block was added in 1935.
Mounted between the two garage doors is a small stone with a s mall descriptive plaque underneath. It is believed its origins date back to the 11th century. It was moved to Exmouth from a church in London in the 1930’s.
The text on the plaque states “THIS ARCH STONE WAS TAKEN FROM THE GRAND PRIORY CHURCH CLERKENWELL DEDICATED BY HERACLIUS PATRIARCH OF JERUSALEM ON MARCH 10TH 1185 IN THE PRESENSE OF THE GRAND MASTER ROGER DES MOULINS”