Clock Tower

Exmouth’s Jubilee Clock Tower was erected to the design of architects Kerley and Ellis to commemorate Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee. The Hon. Mark Rolle provided most of the £350 needed for construction and Lady Gertrude Rolle laid the foundation stone on the 15th of September 1897.

The clock was originally hand wound by a council employee, but is now electric. The original mechanism can be seen in Exmouth Museum.

The Tower became a grade II listed building in 1978.

Search

Popular Posts

  • Seamen’s Mission

    The Exmouth Seamen’s Mission and Sailor’s Rest in St Andrew’s Road was erected in 1909 and closed in 2007. Before 1909 premises in Camperdown Terrace and Chapel Hill were used for mission purposes. Its original 1909 objectives were: “1. IN TRUST TO PERMIT THE SAID PREMISES TO BE USED AND OCCUPIED AS A SEAMEN’S MISSION…

  • Bastin Hall

    The Bastin Hall in Elm Grove was the local base of the St John’s Ambulance from 1933 to 2023. The building was sold in 2023 and the site may be destined for demolition and new build residential use. The Hall was opened by T Garbutt Knott on the 6th of December 1933. The garage block…

  • Exmouth Churches

    All Saints Church All saints Church in Exeter Road was completed in 1898. Christ Church Originally built in 1872 as a Wesleyan Chapel, Christ Church in Windsor Square was purchased from the Methodists after they moved to larger premises in 1895. In 1897 it was enlarged by adding an additional aisle. Exmouth Baptist Church Exmouth’s…