Lost pubs

Cranford Hotel, Salterton Road, Exmouth

Cranford Hotel, Salterton Road, Exmouth

Over the years Exmouth has lost a number of pubs through change of use or redevelopment. These include:

  • Albion Inn – 38 Albion Street (Now a private house).
  • Anchor – Tower Street.
  • Clarence Inn – 17 Meeting Street. Closed as a pub in 2000, now a private house.
  • Cranford Hotel – Salterton Road. Demolished after a fire in 1992.
  • Criterion Inn – Tower Street. Site now occupied by the Saveur Restaurant.
  • Foresters Arms – Chapel Street (Demolished to make way for the Magnolia Centre).
  • London Hotel – Chapel Street (Demolished and rebuilt in 1964 for retail use).
  • Volunteer – Chapel Street (Also demolished for the Magnolia Centre).

A number of Exmouth pubs have also changed their names over time. Some examples are:

  • The Bath House used to be the Deer Leap.
  • The Grapevine started out as the Queen’s Hotel and has also been known as Bar 66, Vipers, and Pitchers.
  • The Heavitree, previously known as the Hook Line and Drinker, No 13, the Oddfellows, the Heavitree Arms, and prior to about 1890, the North Country Sailor.
  • The Merchant was known as the Clipper (2004-15), Malloy’s (2000-04), and Lennard’s Bar (1955–99).