Beach House

Previously known as the Barn, the Beach House is a large Arts and Crafts building on Foxholes Hill in Exmouth. Pevsner refered to it as ‘a brilliant exercise in Art Nouveau domestic design’.

The building dates from 1896 and was designed by the renowned architect Edward Schroeder Prior with a floor plan in the shape of a butterfly for his client, Major Henry Wetherall.

Originally thatched, the roof was replaced with slate following a fire in 1906 which also resulted in the loss of many interior features.

In recent times the building was the Barn Hotel up until 2016 when it became a large holiday let known as the Beach House.

Search

Popular Posts

  • Seamen’s Mission

    The Exmouth Seamen’s Mission and Sailor’s Rest in St Andrew’s Road was erected in 1909 and closed in 2007. Before 1909 premises in Camperdown Terrace and Chapel Hill were used for mission purposes. Its original 1909 objectives were: “1. IN TRUST TO PERMIT THE SAID PREMISES TO BE USED AND OCCUPIED AS A SEAMEN’S MISSION…

  • Bastin Hall

    The Bastin Hall in Elm Grove was the local base of the St John’s Ambulance from 1933 to 2023. The building was sold in 2023 and the site may be destined for demolition and new build residential use. The Hall was opened by T Garbutt Knott on the 6th of December 1933. The garage block…

  • Exmouth Churches

    All Saints Church All saints Church in Exeter Road was completed in 1898. Exmouth Baptist Church Exmouth’s Baptist Church was formed in 1894 and it originally met in Thorn’s Temperance Hotel. The present church was built on land in Victoria Road purchased in 1900. Exmouth Chapel Evangelical church on the Exeter Road. Glenorchy United Reformed…