Frances “Fanny” Nelson, Viscountess Nelson (1758 – 4 May 1831), married Lord Nelson in 1787. The couple became estranged after Lord Nelson’s affair with Emma, Lady Hamilton and they effectively separated around 1800. After spending time in Bath and Paris Lady Nelson eventually settled in Exmouth. She died in 1831 and is buried in Littleham Churchyard.
One response to “Lady Nelson”
[…] Lady Nelson moved to this street in 1803 after separating from Lord Nelson in 1800, Sir Fairfax Moresby died here in 1877 after finally returning home from his naval exploits across the world, and another blue plaque notes that landscape painter Sir Francis Danby retired here in the 1840s, drawn to Exmouth by the unarguably beautiful scenery. […]
The Exmouth Seamen’s Mission and Sailor’s Rest in St Andrew’s Road was erected in 1909 and closed in 2007. Before 1909 premises in Camperdown Terrace and Chapel Hill were used for mission purposes. Its original 1909 objectives were: “1. IN TRUST TO PERMIT THE SAID PREMISES TO BE USED AND OCCUPIED AS A SEAMEN’S MISSION…
The Bastin Hall in Elm Grove was the local base of the St John’s Ambulance from 1933 to 2023. The building was sold in 2023 and the site may be destined for demolition and new build residential use. The Hall was opened by T Garbutt Knott on the 6th of December 1933. The garage block…
All Saints Church All saints Church in Exeter Road was completed in 1898. Exmouth Baptist Church Exmouth’s Baptist Church was formed in 1894 and it originally met in Thorn’s Temperance Hotel. The present church was built on land in Victoria Road purchased in 1900. Exmouth Chapel Evangelical church on the Exeter Road. Glenorchy United Reformed…