Mona Island

The Historic Exmouth Plaque erected by the Exmouth Society states:

“This was the location of Pratteshide (Pratt’s landing place) from where the ancient ferry to Starcross, with royal concession, operated for many centuries. Nearby stood Douste’s House, built by Roger Douste prior to 1240 AD, where all shipping dues and ferry rents were paid. In the late 19th century, the area became known as Mona Island, named after one of the cottages on the site”.

Mona Island was originally on the shore of the Exe Estuary, but is now quite a distance away following the land reclamation in the early 19th century which evetually created the area occupied by the Colonies.

Search

Popular Posts

  • Seamen’s Mission

    The Exmouth Seamen’s Mission and Sailor’s Rest in St Andrew’s Road was erected in 1909 and closed in 2007. Before 1909 premises in Camperdown Terrace and Chapel Hill were used for mission purposes. Its original 1909 objectives were: “1. IN TRUST TO PERMIT THE SAID PREMISES TO BE USED AND OCCUPIED AS A SEAMEN’S MISSION…

  • Bastin Hall

    The Bastin Hall in Elm Grove was the local base of the St John’s Ambulance from 1933 to 2023. The building was sold in 2023 and the site may be destined for demolition and new build residential use. The Hall was opened by T Garbutt Knott on the 6th of December 1933. The garage block…

  • Exmouth Churches

    All Saints Church All saints Church in Exeter Road was completed in 1898. Exmouth Baptist Church Exmouth’s Baptist Church was formed in 1894 and it originally met in Thorn’s Temperance Hotel. The present church was built on land in Victoria Road purchased in 1900. Exmouth Chapel Evangelical church on the Exeter Road. Glenorchy United Reformed…