Gas Works

The Gas Works were constructed on Fore Street in 1842 and the Exmouth Gas, Coke and Water Company (Limited) was formed in 1844 and became the Exmouth Gas and Coke Company in 1865. By 1880 it was carbonising 1000 tons of coal a year and in 1900 produced around 40 million cubic feet of gas.

To meet demand a new gas holder was erected in 1910 with a capacity of 300,000 cubic feet. This was eventually insufficient, so in 1931 another gas holder with a capacity of 750,000 cubic feet was built on a new site in the grounds of what was formerly Llandovery on Albion Hill. This gas holder was demolished in October 2010.

The output of gas in 1950 was approximately 240 million cubic feet which would have required some 13,000 tons of coal to be carbonised.

The Gas Company was nationalised in 1949.

Today little evidence remains of the gas industry in Exmouth. The gas holders have been removed, though the Albion Hill site remains fenced off and unused. The original town centre site has largely been taken over by Jewsons.

Search

Popular Posts

  • Seamen’s Mission

    The Exmouth Seamen’s Mission and Sailor’s Rest in St Andrew’s Road was erected in 1909 and closed in 2007. Before 1909 premises in Camperdown Terrace and Chapel Hill were used for mission purposes. Its original 1909 objectives were: “1. IN TRUST TO PERMIT THE SAID PREMISES TO BE USED AND OCCUPIED AS A SEAMEN’S MISSION…

  • Bastin Hall

    The Bastin Hall in Elm Grove was the local base of the St John’s Ambulance from 1933 to 2023. The building was sold in 2023 and the site may be destined for demolition and new build residential use. The Hall was opened by T Garbutt Knott on the 6th of December 1933. The garage block…

  • Exmouth Churches

    All Saints Church All saints Church in Exeter Road was completed in 1898. Exmouth Baptist Church Exmouth’s Baptist Church was formed in 1894 and it originally met in Thorn’s Temperance Hotel. The present church was built on land in Victoria Road purchased in 1900. Exmouth Chapel Evangelical church on the Exeter Road. Glenorchy United Reformed…