Exmouth’s open air swimming pool opened in 1932 on the seafront site of what is now Ocean at the end of Carlton Hill. It originally used water pumped from the sea and was the scene of many galas and home to the Exmouth Swimming and Life Saving Society, who previously had had to use the Docks for their activities.
The sea water was replaced in the 1970’s with a fresh water system. In 1985 the council gave up running the pool and for a few years after that it was run privately before closing permnanently.
In 1889 building work started on a swimming pool at the end of Camperdown Terrace (now the site of the Buoy Store). However, while superintending the works, Thomas Redway (of brickworks fame), died suddenly and what was know as the “Saloon Pool” was never completed.